“So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, having been built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole building being fitted together is growing into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.” —Ephesians 2:19-22 (NASB)
During my career in the Major Leagues, I had the chance to play against some amazing players, among them Chipper Jones. Chipper had a Hall of Fame career; he was the 1st pick of the 1990 draft and he spent 19 years in the big leagues with the Atlanta Braves, making the playoffs 12 of those years.
Before Chipper Jones, no other Brave had ever played in 12 playoff seasons within 19 years. Let’s take a look at some of the things that happened in Atlanta while he was there, from a certain perspective:
- He gave over his entire career to Atlanta, and was embraced by the fan community as a hero among heroes (so completely that some would say he was the Braves).
- He was placed in the most critical part of the lineup (he was the “cornerstone” of the organization—batting third, playing third base).
- The whole lineup was built around Jones, rallied around Jones, and everyone’s game was raised as a result.
- Together, all the guys grew as players in a long run of excellent seasons.
Notice the similarities with our passage in Ephesians 2:19-22:
- When our lives are given over to Christ, we become a part of God’s household (v.19).
- Built upon God’s Word and centered on Christ, who is the cornerstone that holds everything in place (v.20).
- In Christ the whole building (all believers) is coming together and growing together continuously (v.21).
- This is a place where we have the privilege to grow into something spectacular with the help of the Holy Spirit, “God in us” (v.22).
What is your life and household built upon? Everyone’s life is built upon some kind of foundation that guides us. If that foundation isn’t the cornerstone of Christ, it will fail us. My prayer is that you will build your life on the rock of Christ Jesus (Matt. 7:24-28).
—Eddie Taubensee (Pro Athletes Outreach Director of Baseball Ministry)
If you enjoyed this article, please share: